Saturday, January 20, 2018

September 22, 2017

Photo by Camille Minouflet on Unsplash
Hope you are all well. Looking forward to a great weekend I am sure. Tomorrow the PAL Golf Tournament will raise money for a great cause. I want to wish all involved a great day and thank the organizers for going above and beyond for our kids.

Continuing to enjoy my visits to our schools. Listening to the excitement and thoughtful discourse resonating out of our classrooms is encouraging.

Tonight, Thunderbolts take on the Prep…would like to wish them the best in taking the next step in their journey.

A big congratulations to all of the athletic teams, our Bolts are representing our community well in all areas. Keep up the great work.

Beyond the field, it is most important that our student athletes and students work towards becoming positive contributing members of society. Our staff continues to do a great job modeling appropriate behavior and molding the next generation.

I was at one of our elementary schools this week and a young lady (2nd grade I believe) was sent to the principal’s office because she was ‘misbehaving and having a rough day’. I dusted off my principal skills and attempted to get to the reason why she wasn’t behaving. The young lady has a great little smile and I found her to be simply adorable. When she expressed that she was hungry, despite having just had lunch a bit before, I couldn’t help but take her to the cafeteria for a second lunch. Although the cafeteria workers quietly told me she had already had a sandwich and that I was likely being manipulated, I got her a tray of food. After finishing her second lunch with me, she went back to class where I hoped with a full belly and my best lecturing to she would behave for her teacher. Today, I found out that she has been removed from her home because marks were found on her back. I can’t help but think that may be the real reason she was struggling in class. Many of our students are dealing with difficulties outside of school that make performing in school a struggle. I know you all already know this, but continue to give our kids an ‘extra lunch’ or ‘benefit of second chances’ because you may be the best thing that has happened to them all day.

Below is  a link to the NJEA web page article discussing how best to partner parents and schools in order to raise the next generation. This generation will someday be the next group of teachers, doctors, lawyers, plumbers etc… The article talks and warns about the phenomenon of ‘lawn-mower parenting’. This was the first time I heard this term. If I am honest in my reflection though, I sometimes want to exhibit behavior of the lawn-mower parent. Simply put, mowing down any potential problems or adversity in my kids’ path. For obvious reasons, parents are naturally protective; protecting is one thing, artificially removing all negative experiences from our kids’ lives is another. I feel this a great read for all educators and parents. If we recognize why parents respond so emotionally we can better address their concerns and ultimately help the child learn from each and every experience – positive or negative. As a parent, I hate to watch my own kids struggle – especially if I feel I could intervene and ‘fix’ it. After reading this article I will thing twice before doing so. (*I hope you enjoy the read)

Parents as Partners
https://www.njea.org/root-student-entitlement/
Have an outstanding weekend-

Regards,
Dr. G

Published by Spike Cook, Millville, NJ

No comments:

Post a Comment