Saturday, January 20, 2018

September 15, 2017

Photo by Ben Hershey on Unsplash
I hope each of you are having an amazing Friday! I know I am. Tonight we have our Thunderbolt’s home-opener at 6pm. Please come out and support MPS Pride and wear your ‘Orange & Blue’.

In my continued travels to our schools, I am so impressed with the dedication to our students. I can feel the excitement in our hallways…in the classrooms I’m encouraged by the creativity our staff is using to engage our students. Unfortunately, I have also witnessed very difficult students testing the limits of our staff. More and more, we are being asked to educate and program for noncompliant and emotionally fragile students. I have observed first hand how one little ‘out of control’ kindergarten student can burden the resources of an entire school. It is with this in mind that we will remain committed to establishing programs that can better help our most troubled students. To make sure that the other students have access, unobstructed, to a high quality education.

I would like to again express our condolences to the Silver Run family and those closest to Diana Day. The least the district could do is provide counselors and substitutes to assist in the grieving process. The Silver Run staff did an excellent job supporting each other and the students as needed. We must make sure that we always look out for each other but especially during times of extreme grief.

Food for thought
Sometimes educators are pulled in too many directions. Fortunately, you all do an amazing job juggling all that is asked. But If it ever feels like you are becoming overwhelmed fall back to doing just one thing well…that is ‘do what is best for kids’. David Cottrell shared the fable of the fox and the cat that highlights this lesson. The story goes a fox boasted to a cat one day about how sly and wily he was. “I’ve got all kinds of fancy tricks,” the fox said. “For example, whenever I hear the dogs coming, I know a hundred different ways to escape”. The cat was very impressed and humbly said, “your cleverness is amazing. As for me, I have only one way to escape, and that is to climb up a tree. I know it’s not as exciting as all of your ways but it works for me. Maybe someday you could show me some of your different escape routes.” The fox smiled smugly, “Well, friend, perhaps I’ll have some free time one of these days to show you a trick or two.” Shortly afterward, the fox and cat heard a pack of hounds baying nearby. “They’re coming this way!” the cat shrieked. In a flash she scaled the nearby tree and hid herself in the leaves. The fox stood there overwhelmed trying to decide which of his many tricks to use. Paralyzed with indecision, the fox waited too long to make his move, and the hounds pounced on him…

When we have too many ‘important’ things to focus on, we become paralyzed and take no action at all. I encourage you to always remember above all else what is most important – our children! When in doubt, do what is best for kids. There are countless different methods to facilitate learning, sometimes the simplest is best.

Have a wonderful weekend-

Dr. G

Published by Spike Cook, Millville, NJ

No comments:

Post a Comment